April 27, 2009

Baking & Pastry Project Week 4 - Sandwich Breads


Baking & Pastry Project Week 4

What's going on? I was a very lucky woman and received a copy of the Culinary Institute of America's Baking & Pastry book along with their culinary dvd's from my family for my birthday and our anniversary. After watching all the DVDs, I decided to work my way through the CIA's Baking and Pastry book - of course making it gluten free. There were so many skills that I wanted to develop and work on. I hope you will be interested in sharing my journey with me.

You can also follow me on Twitter, where I'm glutenagogo.

Schedule

Wednesday - Pain de Mie

Friday - Whole Grain Pullman Loaf


Shopping List

Brown Rice Flour (Fine or Superfine Grind)
Sweet Rice Flour (also called glutinous rice flour)
Arrowroot Starch
High Protein Flours, such as: Soybean, White Bean, Job's Tears
Whole Grain Flour, such as: Buckwheat, Millet, Sorghum, Quinoa, Teff
Instant Dry Yeast
Sea Salt
Binding Agents, such as: Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Chia Seed Meal, Agar Agar Powder


Resources

Flours & Binding Agents: Authentic Foods, Barry Farm, Bob's Red Mill

Adzuki Beans: Amazon.com, Eden Foods, Barry Farm

Job's Tears (Yimi or Hato Mugi): Amazon.com, Gold Mine Natural Foods

Instant Dry Yeast: Barry Farm


Equipment

Pain de Mie Pan - It's not necessary to make this recipe. If you decide you want one or you'd like to see what they look like, they are available at Fantes.

Pullman Loaf Pan - It isn't necessary to purchase a pullman loaf pan to make this recipe. You can mimic the effect of the pullman pan with a regular loaf pan, a sheet pan and several bricks. You can also purchase several sizes of Pullman Loaf pans from Fantes. You can buy the smaller size at Williams-Sonoma and in a larger size at Kerekes - bottom and top are sold separately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a delicious week ahead! Can't wait to see the results...