April 14, 2009

Baking & Pastry Project Week 2 - Batards & Rolls


I was a very lucky woman and received a copy of the Culinary Institute of America's Baking & Pastry book along with their culinary dvd's from my family for my birthday and our anniversary. After watching all the DVDs, I decided to work my way through the CIA's Baking and Pastry book - of course making it gluten free. There were so many skills that I wanted to develop and work on. I hope you will be interested in sharing my journey with me.

This week I'm making a Whole Grain Bread and what sounds like a mouth watering Rosemary Bread using a blend of high protein flours.
Due to the Easter holiday weekend, I'm a little off my original schedule (Sun/Tues/Thur). This week, my bread postings will be on Wednesday and Friday. Next week I'll be back to the original schedule.
You can follow my adventure daily on Twitter, where I'm glutenagogo.

Schedule for the Week of April 12th:
Wednesday - Whole Wheat Lean Dough & Bread (page 131)
Friday – Durum Rosemary Dough & Bread (page 132)

Shopping List
Brown Rice Flour (Fine or Superfine grind)
Sweet Rice Flour (also called glutinous rice flour)
Arrowroot Starch
High Protein Flours such as: Soybean, White Bean, Quinoa, Millet, Sorghum
Whole Grain Flour such as: Buckwheat, Millet, Sorghum, Quinoa, Amaranth, Teff
Instant Dry Yeast
Sea Salt
Binding Agents such as: Xanthan gum, Guar Gum, Chia Seed Meal, Agar Agar Powder
Fresh Rosemary

Resources
Flours & Binding Agents:Authentic Foods, Barry Farm, Bob's Red Mill
Instant Dry Yeast:Barry Farm

Equipment


Other Messages in the Baking & Pastry Project
Baking & Pastry Project #2 - Bagels
Baking & Pastry Project #1 - Lean White Bread
Baking & Pastry Project - Week 1

6 comments:

Emilia said...

These baking posts are so interesting to read.

I haven't thought about using agar agar as a binder, actually I didn't know that it could be used as a binder, but now I am intrigued to try.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I need to check out that book!!

Rhoda Maurer said...

Thanks for the link to Barry Farm - much better prices on GF flours than I can find locally.

Rhoda Maurer said...

Have you found the book Gluten-Free Baking with The Culinary Institute of America?

http://www.ciaprochef.com/fbi/books/GlutenFreeBaking.html

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Hi Emilia - Thanks for stopping by to visit. I have used agar agar flakes before, but until now I haven't tried the powdered form. It makes a great addition to the bread.

Natalie

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Veggie Girl & Rhoda - I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Baking & Pastry is a fabulous resource, I'm learning so much by working through these recipes. I do have a copy of the Gluten-Free Baking book by Chef Coppedge. It's another wonderful resource.

Natalie