June 18, 2008

Honey Chocolate Chip Cookies


Chocolate chips cookies are a fixture at our house. I periodically tinker with the recipe or try new ones just to see what my family thinks about them. Lately, I've been trying out making some of our favorite baked goods with honey. We've been enjoying trying out different flavors of honey, from the mild clover honey to the robust mesquite honey.

For this experiment, I used the Honey Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from the Culinary Institute Arts Encyclopedic Cookbook, edited by Rose Berolzheimer. These cookies turned out beautifully with a hint of honey. My daughter was thrilled with these cookies and preferred them slightly warmed.

Recipe

1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 tsp chia seed meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a medium sized bowl, dump in the flours, chia seed meal, baking powder and sea salt. Stir and make sure the chia seed meal is mixed through out.

3. In a small bowl, pour in the honey, egg and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.

4. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir together. Dump in the nuts and chocolate chips, then fold them into the batter.

Substitutions

1. You can substitute 1 cup of a gluten free flour mix for the individual flours. If the flour mix has xanthan gum, do not add the chia seed meal.

2. You can substitute 1/2 tsp xanthan or guar gum for the chia seed meal.

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, I bet those cookies would taste wonderful with agave nectar as well!! Yum!!

tcd said...

Those look really yummy.

You WOULD have to give me yet another recipe to think about for your "adoption," didn't you??

Anonymous said...

Your photo looks so inviting! A perfect cup of tea and some delicious cookies, too.

Cheryl Harris said...

I will totally be trying these! they look very yummy and DH is a honey fiend.

Peter said...

Did you leave out shortening/butter or are these low-fat cookies?

Autumn said...

How long do these cook? They look so good I am going to make them! (but without the chocolate chips)

I can't eat sugar, wheat, corn, or brown rice. But I can eat honey.
So I'm looking for desserts I can make with honey that I can eat when everyone else is having treats :)
Do you have any other recipes with no sugar?
I would love to make oatmeal cookies, how do you think I could make these into oatmeal cookies?

If you or anyone else has any ideas for treats for me please let me know!

Autumn said...

How long do these cook? They look so good I am going to make them! (but without the chocolate chips)

I can't eat sugar, wheat, corn, or brown rice. But I can eat honey.
So I'm looking for desserts I can make with honey that I can eat when everyone else is having treats :)
Do you have any other recipes with no sugar?
I would love to make oatmeal cookies, how do you think I could make these into oatmeal cookies?

If you or anyone else has any ideas for treats for me please let me know!