December 1, 2006

Corn Bread Gluten-Free



For my family, Thanksgiving feasting isn't the same if there isn't cornbread stuffing on the table. So I pull out my old Quaker Oats Corn Bread recipe and started modifying it to be gluten free.
My first gluten free attempt at baking was corn bread. It was so dense and heavy, it could have been used as an anchor. Given that it was somewhat tasty, my family encouraged me to go ahead and make it into stuffing rather than make it a donation to the local dump.
This is a double recipe made for a 9 x 12 pan. That way we could have enough for munching and stuffing. So, this is what I did:


Gluten Free Corn Bread

2 cups Corn Meal
2/3 cup + 4 Tb Brown Rice Flour
(4 Tbs added because mix didn't seem thick enough)
1/4 cup Arrowroot Flour
1/3 cup Oat Flour
1/3 cup Sweet Rice Flour
1/3 cup Almond Meal
4 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 cups Milk
1/2 cup Vegetable Shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp Kudzu Powder dissolved in 1 Tb Water
2/3 cup Sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 12 baking pan with parchment paper. Mix ingredients together. Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
My family said that this was the best version of corn bread that I have made yet. The kids were thumbs up and said make it this way again. My husband and I enjoyed it, but were slightly more critical. As Southerners we both prefer a corn bread that is slightly sweet, so my recipe has more sugar. However, we both agreed that it had a bit too much sugar, so I cut back on the sugar in the recipe above. The almond meal and sweet rice flour add their own natural sweetness to the mix and the recipe didn't need as much sugar as it did in the original wheat recipe. This is a nice corn bread recipe.
The Arrowroot Flour in the recipe came from Bob's Red Mill. (www.bobsredmill.com)

3 comments:

Colby said...

I tried this out and you are right...so far this is the best corn bread yet. Thanks for the tip!
Jay T
www.glutenfreepost.com

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Jay - Thanks for trying out the recipe. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Sheltie Girl

Anonymous said...

Very nice -- I was looking for a good GF cornbread recipe. This looks wonderful. I usually stick with Bob's Red Mill GF cornbread mix and I've never used kudzu powder before, so I'll give this a try. You mentioned that you like your cornbread slightly sweet. Drizzle pure organic maple syrup over it. Yum!

Thanks for the recipe!