August 6, 2006

Pamela's Gluten Free Pancake Mix - A Misadventure

My adventures in using Pamela's Pancake Mix have been interesting to say the least. I used it to make chocolate chip cookies and one batch of pancakes that turned out quite well. The third time, I wanted to use up my bag of mix to make another batch of pancakes. Third time was not a charm....

Here is my picture of the lovely batch of pancakes that I made using Pamela's Pancake Mix.

The last batch of pancakes that I made kept sticking to the pan. I even threw out the first batch and made a second one, but it did the same thing. See how lumpy and destroyed they looked? These pancakes even tasted slightly different.

What went wrong? I'm not sure, but I've got a couple of ideas. First the mix could have been getting older. Second, the mix wasn't totally mixed. Depending on assembly line processes, the various ingredients could simply have been put inside the bag one at a time rather than mixed before bagging. Third, the various ingredients could have settled down and weren't mixed anymore after sitting on a shelf for who knows how long.

I have bought another bag of Pamela's Pancake Mix to try again. This time I'll mix the ingredients in the bag before trying to make something with it. More to come on this one.

No comments: